Monday, October 26, 2009

Beyond Thunderdome


I had a dream a couple nights ago where I drove a big van down a really steep hill and then rolled it 25 times off a bend and into suburban homes because the breaks wouldn't work.

When I woke up in the dream I was like, 'Holy Fucking Shit!? My head must've exploded all over some poor kid's first afterschool-livingroom-handjob and now I'm dead! DEAD!!' But I wasn't..

It was the next day and I wasn't even in the hospital. My legs had thousands of stitches in them, sticks and whatever to hold things in place, but I could walk. My body was in shock, and my head a little funny or drugged; but everything worked. The only concern I had really, was that there was a gaping hole in my abdomen... with no skin or muscle or anything other than a flap of clear, rectangular-shaped plexi-glass taped across it; covering up some very fucked up and rotten intestines of mine. They were disgusting (but also amazing!). The flap opened from the bottom and you could swoosh things around with your hands (maybe not the best surgeon-al choice?) but otherwise I felt fine.


When my dad was young, he once rolled his 1970 Dodge Challenger down a valley in Pennsylvania - mangling it - but coming out with only some bruising and a concussion. I remember in the dream trying to call him up to let him know that I was in an accident. That I was okay, sure, but more importantly..

..that I totally beat him!

* * *
(BUT ANYWAYS...)

What I think it's really all about is an idea I've been having lately:

I really want to buy a used car, drive it as far into South America as possible (or until it dies), and then blow it up.

I'm thinking of doing this next summer if I can afford it, and after working out some logistical details like whether or not you can actually get a car through the Derien Gap (a stretch of swampland between Panama and Columbia that doesn't seem to have any listed roads), and which giant rainforest insects can kill you? (at this point, I will have to assume all!)

Reasons for doing it/Things I'm sure of...

1. I love Mexican food.
2. I love adventure.
3. I'd like having the real excuse to learn Spanish again.
4. There would be so much to film and write about.
5. If I pull it off (in whatever form).. I will be the most awesome person ever.

And who knows what else I'd find?
..Tomorrow-morrow land?

[to be continued..]

No comments: